I would say this style-change is still "a bit" too green in the
meaning of being ready.

In densely built up areas this change does not improve the visibility
of roads. The result is quite the opposite with residential and living
streets.
Choosing areas that have 99,9% of buildings tagged as building=yes as
sample areas does not show what we loose in the areas where buildings
are slowly getting tagged the way they should be. I would keep the
distinction between important buildings and non-important buildings.

I would not have anything against rendering all insignificant
buildings and buildings  tagged as building=yes a little bit lighter
than on the current style. But definetly not as light as on the
buildings demo style.

By making all religious buildings highly visible on the current
buildings demo style it makes a great style to use when you want to
visit all the religious places nearby but nothing else. I do not know
about the rest of the world but at least in a typical eastern european
city only a few of the religious buildings can be concidered
landmarks. In my home city it is 1 of 5.

Regards,
Mihkel