> > They try to push that tag everywhere even when the tag without the
> > prefix is used 10x more.
>
> This is the ad populum fallacy. Any attempt to improve a tagging scheme
> will always start out being numerically weaker regardless of the merit
> of the proposal.

yes, but if you look in this case on the wiki history, it was created
almost 6 years ago (Jan 2009) by copying info from another page (i.e. this
is likely older then 6 years). In all this time this alternative way of
tagging didn't find enough support to even come closer to the un-prefixed
tagging alternative. IMHO we shouldn't wait any longer and declare the
alternative way for deprecated.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:contact&action=history

There are also strange suggestions like "contact:webcam" (how would you
contact someone via his public webcam?) and some documented keys are not
even used 5 times (one has no occurence at all). These are at best
proposals but shouldn't be in a "Key:"-Definition page.

cheers,
Martin