Hi,

I have a problem with the usage values other yes in key building.
It seems to me that this any other usage of building=yes (for area
type) is almost purely redundant.

When looking at taginfo [1], building has following three top most key usages:
yes  119260798 85%
house 11592812 8%
residential 3145218 2%

So, other than "yes" has a frequency of 15% and less.

Then, when looking at the wiki page [2] it mostly points to
alternative tags, like
* building=apartment => tourism=apartment
* building=hotel => tourism=hotel
* building=warehouse => shop=department_store (no indication to that
in warehouse
* building=church/cathedral =>  amenity=place_of_worship
* building=school/hospital => amenity=school/hospital

Sometimes when looking at wiki pages of building=* they even don't
mention the preferred tagging, like building=apartment [3].

I tend to stipulate that any other value than yes for key building
should be deprecated.
Or am I missing something?

Yours, S.

[1] http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building#values