On 18 March 2015 at 21:43, Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
> Paul,
> Since you are involved with updating the rendering, can you tell us the
> process to decide what should be rendered? I realize that part of it must be
> stylistic, but what outside influences cause you to include a tag as part of
> the standard rendered OSM tile? Would you render a tag without a wiki entry,
> or with just a proposal?

I'm not Paul, but I can give you my view:
As far as I know, we don't have a policy on which tags to include in
the rendering, and there is currently no consensus within the
development team on what the best policy would be. Personally I'm
trying to steer towards requiring an accepted proposal plus
documentation on the wiki before rendering a new tag, but I know not
all of the developers share this point of view. Currently, proposals
for newly rendered tags are currently discussed on a case by case
base.

> How does the fact that it may be useful to specific groups, ie, cyclists
> which has its own style impact your decisions?

Objects aimed at specific user groups are less likely to be rendered,
and if they are rendered they will appear at higher zoomlevels. For
example, we don't render fire hydrants because they are of little
interest to the general public.

-- Matthijs