> On 28/05/2015 22:27, moltonel 3x Combo wrote:
>
>> You can argue against machine-made non-reviewed translitterations,
>> because they don't add anything that a data consumer couldn't and
>> because they likely contain mistakes. But that's apparenlty not the
>> case of the name:ru changeset that got reverted.
>>

> The source of the names in the reverted changeset is described in the
> changeset discussion http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/30451655 :
>
> "to find russian names for places, I googled for English place names plus
> "достопримечательности", "погода" or some other russian word".

Looks like you completely miss the point I'm native Russian speaker who
also speaks English a little bit.
I know how a russian would call that place the minute I see it.
Googling is a way to cross-check if my guess is valid - the corner case
about Slough was given a couple of letters above.

Some places with unusual pronounciation got their name:ru 5 years ago - why
weren't these reverted since then?

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/21280555/history

Some live happily with name:he, name:lt and even name:ja, but name:ru was
removed from them repeatedly:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/10021976/history

I'm sorry to ask - isn't japanese tag there a transcription to hieroglyphs?
When I ask google translate to pronounce it, I hear what I would write in
cyrillic as "Лестаар".
So, why was it kept?

I also see links to Name page referring IRC discussions.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Names&diff=next&oldid=976484

While IRC discussions may be good for intra-cultural things, it's better to
discuss such large topics on mailing lists, and at least not revert such
data silently.

--
Darafei "Komяpa" Praliaskouski
OSM BY Team - http://openstreetmap.by/