> Part of that work could be (or is) done by the validators in the editors.

+1
If you look at the actual values for oneway, very few are obviously
mistagged, e.g. oneway=yes;no (32) and no;yes (111) - these result very
likely from merging streets with different properties. I have tested this
with current JOSM, if you combine a way with oneway=yes and one with
oneway=no you will get to a window which asks to choose from "yes, no,
/none/, /all/" and you have to deliberately choose "all" to get an
ambiguous value. iD is working similarly, but it doesn't let you decide, it
automatically creates a double value (yes;no), and the direction is taken
from the first way selected (e.g. 1st way selected is oneway=no and 2nd way
is oneway=yes and pointing in the opposite direction will revert the
direction of the oneway=yes way without notice and will create a oneway
value of no;yes also without notice. I have opened a ticket for this
behaviour: https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/2670  )

cheers,
Martin