The issue raised by Frederik Ramm was, to paraphrase Ben Abelshausen, an
interesting topic and certainly a lot of people wanted to contribute to the
discussion. I was impressed by the positive tone taken by participants in
the conversation. To me that bodes well for our community.

Frederik raises important issue that the community felt the need to
discuss. I wanted to get a snapshot of how people felt about the issue, not
just the people on responding. A survey seemed like the best approach. The
results are from a small, self selected group of mappers that subscribe to
the talk mailing list. The results do not attempt to say what is the right
answer, only what a small segment of the community feels towards the issue.
Sixty-nine people did respond to the survey.

OSM, especially OSMF, should consider conducting surveys to better
understand mappers concerns. The third question, "Is OpenStreetMap
welcoming to women?" should be overwhelmingly yes. Instead it appears that
we don't know. I would like to see us get more data to help understand the
problem so we get to 100% yes.

Question 1: Do you agree with the statement "*Whenever you give someone a
map by remote mapping, you also take something away from them.*"

Answer Choices–
–
Strongly Agree
4.35%
3
–
Agree
14.49%
10
–
Disagree
56.52%
39
–
Strongly Disagree
24.64%
17
Total69

*80% disagree with the statement while 20% agree. *

Question 2: *Do you agree or disagree with the statement "Imports stunt
community growth*."

Answer Choices–
–
Strongly Disagree
21.74%
15
–
Disagree
46.38%
32
–
Agree
24.64%
17
–
Strongly Agree
7.25%
5
Total69

*68% disagree with the statement while 32% agree.*

Question 3: *Is OpenStreetMap welcoming to women?*

Answer Choices–
–
Yes
42.03%
29
–
No
13.04%
9
–
Not sure
44.93%
31
Total69

It would be interesting to get more data, especially if the results were
broken out by gender.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle