Hi,

I just wanted to share some thoughts about antennas and radio supports
mapping on this list.

There are currently several tags in use to map telecommunication or radio
broadcast supports :
man_made=tower + tower:type=communication
man_made=telecommunication_tower
and so on...

but this won't allow us to add antennas on them at all or describe how
these supports are used.
Antennas and stations (relations of supports + antennas + cabinets) may be
interesting too.

Some French mappers and I are currently looking for a sustainable model to
map radio sites, radio stations, supports and antennas since our regulator
allows free datasets to be downloaded and part of them can be added on the
map (Etalab license compatible with OdBL).
The point is to add references (ref:FR:ANFR) on right objects first as for
linking to the whole dataset which shouldn't be imported in OSM (only
technical data and not so geographical)

I've proposed such things (unfortunately only in French for the moment) but
it's not finalized or transposable on the map
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/File:Radio_antennas_mapping_proposal.png

The problem is to add several antennas on the support itself (sometimes on
masts, sometimes at the top of buildings).
Supports can be composed of several decks and several antennas can share
same lat/lng (but different elev) and currently can't be added as nodes.
Relations can really be a pain to maintain in such situation too.

May someone have idea and help solving the issue without adding 3rd
dimension to OSM model?

Cheers

François

--