By the way, I want to apologize for dumping so many messages in a row
onto the list. I've not had a lot of sitting-in-front-of-the-computer
time lately because I've been spending a lot of time gathering map
data in the field:

I'm ONE rail-trail short of cycling every rail-trail in New York
State. Over a hundred of them, around 2800 miles, taking about two
months of bicycling if I spent a full 8 hours every day on the trail,
but in reality it's been an 11-year-long project.

moltonel 3x Combo writes:
 > One can often assert that something was here even when nothing is left
 > of that thing. And is nothing is left of that thing, it shouldn't be
 > mapped.

What about point A?  What about point B? The *endpoints* do indeed
continue to exist, so "nothing is left of that thing" is not true
about most dismantled railways.

Speaking of housing developments, I earlier pointed to the south end
of Cazenovia, where a housing development has an obvious railbed to
the north, and an obvious railbed to the south, and in people's
backyards, a treeline where the railbed was.

Should the map look like this (A)?  ___   __ ____

Or should it look like this (B)?    ___---__-____

Some people are arguing for A. I argue that B is a better
representation of what is there (the underscores) because it includes
the dismantled portions (the dashes).

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog