Mateusz Konieczny writes:
 > Now it is done with railways and may be stopped. But if completely
 > dismantled railways are not deleted from OSM what would stop somebody
 > interested in mapping completely destroyed buildings, canals etc?

This is a strawman argument. Nobody is proposing this. You're just
borrowing trouble from the future. Don't do that. The present has
enough trouble already. Like not having enough people mapping in the
US, which is my point here. We have a set of people who are interested
in maps and mapping, AND YOU GUYS ARE THRUSTING THEM AWAY.

Let me tell you a little story. The USGS has been mapping the US for
well over a hundred years now. Very precisely mapping it, including
railroads. Some people who wanted to find these old railroads realized
this, and started digitizing the maps so that everyone can have
them. That set of maps is still available at
http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/nhtopos.htm even though the USGS has begun
its own digitization program.

Thank you railfans, not "get lost" railfans.

Another railfan took those scans (which are four scans per map sheet),
combined them into a single map sheet, geo-rectified them,
color-corrected them, and marked the collar so it may be removed, and
published them.

Thank you railfans, not "get lost" railfans.

Another railfan took those maps, stripped off the collars, pasted them
into MSMaps-style 200x200 pixel UTM tiles, and published them at
http://rutlandtrail.org/mapview.cgi under the "Historical" style.

Thank you railfans, not "get lost" railfans.

Am I being unreasonable to suggest that we should welcome railfans to
OSM, and tolerate their wild and crazy desire to map every part of an
old railroad, even the dismantled portions? Particularly when (in
another thread) there is a discussion of how to recruit specialized
groups like the 4-H into OSM?

You guys are saying "get lost" because OSM rejects (some of) the data
railfans want to contribute.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog