W dniu 18.09.2015 9:10, joost schouppe napisał(a):
I don't think a portal in the style of the Mapquest example is the
best answer. I don't really think there is going to be any specific
OSM-based Google Maps killer ever going to be built. Instead the
strength of OSM is rather being able to cater to niches. No single
Google Maps inspired project could ever reflect the diversity of what
you can do with OSM.

I support this point of view. Google strength is integration of many services (including commercial ones) and a lot of automatic ways to gather and process data; ours is great amount of details and a lot of human-based ways to gather and process data. They are not contradictory - both ways can borrow something from the other, but I think starting with what we already have in a good shape is better than trying to start with imitating the other side of spectrum.

Even though we have a diversity of news channels, I notice how many
involved OSM afficionados don't know about some of these projects. And
if they don't know, how is our average data user ever going to know.
As OSM.org gets more features and users,  a larger proportion of those
users will not know about projects like this.

Lack of integration - sometimes just underusing existing communication infrastructure - is the most visible problem for me in OSM. The ecosystem is broad, diverse and healthy, which is great, but very disconnected at the same time (even between the most important sub-projects), which makes trying to do anything crossing the boundaries very hard, inefficient and time-consuming.

I understand that if we want to build a data-use portal, it should be
managed separately from the current OSM.org infrastructure. But
couldn't we make a subdomain like use.openstreetmap.org [9] to
showcase projects? And maybe try and let that evolve into an ecosystem
of applications, to make it as easy as possible to integrate features
of one project to the next?

Nice idea!

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]