sent from a phone

> Am 12.01.2016 um 01:22 schrieb Mike Thompson <miketh...@gmail.com>:
>
> I notice that some times just the part of a parking lot where cars may park
> is mapped [1]. In other cases the entire lot, including the lanes between
> rows of cars, has been mapped [2]. The wiki [3] doesn't specify which is
> preferred, but seems to suggest [2] is better.  What do you think?

to me, amenity =parking is a "piece of parking" (typically with a name, etc.),
including the roads within, also multiple levels, if you want to map singular
parking lots (or groups of them, or parking possibilities outside of a parking
area, like lots along the road), use a different tag, e.g.
amenity=parking_space
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/amenity=parking_space or a lane tagging
system.

cheers,