On 13/04/2016 8:35 AM, Alejandro S. wrote:

But the surface tag applies to runaways, not aerodromes, does it?

If the surface tag is on the runway .. then it applies to the runway, similarly for taxiway etc.

Personally my experience is that it much easier to map the runway, as that is fairly well defined. The area of the aerodrome is harder - the boundary maybe fenced making it a little easier. Most unpaved runways have no easy way to determine the extent of the 'aerodrome' so it does not usually get mapped. I don't usually put a surface tag on an aerodrome, but I have tagged surfaces on runways, one of which was grass and has changed to paved in my term of mapping history, the 'taxiways' remain grass .. and unmapped.

On Tue, Apr 12, 2016, 23:25 Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com <mailto:61sundow...@gmail.com>> wrote:

    On 13/04/2016 5:47 AM, Michael Kugelmann wrote:
    > Am 12.04.2016 um 11:40 schrieb Christoph Hormann:
    >> This is also a problem for map rendering - map styles use these
    features
    >> to place labels and icons but these features are generally too
    >> ill-defined and undifferentiated to do this properly.
    > I agree completely. This is something that should be improved:
    we need
    > at least some rough categories for aerodromes. Because it does not
    > make sense to me at all to render a grass strip exactly the same
    as a
    > big international airport.
    surface=grass
    OR
    surface=paved

    Some airports are locally categorised as 'domestic',
    'international' ...
    I lack expertise in this area but the public are aware of these two
    categories.

    > This is open since years but nobody really took care about this
    Rendering ... rather than a tagging problem.
    > Of cause this will not be easy as the regulations are different
    in the
    > different countries. But we should find some categorization. And any
    > approach is better than the current situation.
    The surface tag is has been assumed by some mappers. Perhaps that
    needs
    to addresses on the wiki?