> The simple fact is that there is not a consistent structure for
> identifying 'landcover' on OSM and even natural=wood and landuse=forest
> make it difficult to decide what is naturally occurring and what is man
> made.

landuse=reservoir is a lot more practical where at times of the
> year the majority of the surface area is exposed. That is a totally man
> made situation for which 'natural' does not apply.

generally, reading "natural=*" as "made by mother nature" is a bogus
interpretation in my view. It is just a kind of feature-group (geographical
/ landscape feature) for things.

> And when moving onto
> areas like marinas which take several forms including basins on the
> waterway system, including land elements as 'retail' or 'residential'
> and water elements as waterway tags as part of the Relation:waterway.
> But the overall area's landuse is marina even if we currently tag it as
> leisure=marina without any agreement as to just what area that should
> cover.

the tag should cover the whole marina, is this difficult to apply?

> It's the insistence that water only applies to natural elements which
> just does not fit properly, and man_made=reservoir while much more
> accurate does not fit in with a consistent landcover/landuse overlay?

man_made=reservoir would be an option for reservoirs (nothing I would
introduce, just another tag for what already has 2 alternative mapping
methods).
What do you mean by "consistent landcover/landuse overlay"? Those are
orthogonal concepts, with often different boundaries, displaying both (all
of it) at the same time will most likely lead to un unreadable map.

Cheers,
Martin