> On Sunday 10 July 2016, Éric Gillet wrote:
> >
> > In contrary to the Contributor Terms, these rules :
> >
> >    - Are not shown to new contributors
> >    - Are not accepted by new or existing contributors
>
> Maybe that is because they don't apply to the vast majority of
> contributors.  You don't need to accept the automated edit rules to
> contribute to OSM as long as you don't do automated edits.

If you do a search-and-replace on 20 elements and review manually the
change, it is covered under the AE CoC. I don't think of that as an
advanced or uncommon task.

> >    - Doesn't seem to have been voted on before their "establishment"
> >    - Seems to have been written by an eminent, but small set of
> >    contributors (history
>
> Doesn't this also apply for the Contributor Terms?

Yes, it does. But it's mainly the combination of these points that is
problematic.

> Remember OSM is largely a do-ocracy - those who put work into developing
> the rules have a significant influence on their content.

It shouldn't forbid to re-evaluate them.

This does not
> make them illegitimate.

This doesn't make them legitimate either.