On 12/07/16 21:44, Paul Johnson wrote:
> The way I see it, it takes a simple problem and tries to make it
> simpler, but at the same time, as soon as you start talking about a
> situation in which language commonality is not a given, the whole thing
> makes you understand the simple elegance of latitude and longitude,
> particularly in decimal form.

Along with storing all times as simple UTC.

W3W and OLC both have the same problem. They are trying to fix something
which is not really broken. I'd commented in the thread about "Open
Location Code should we support it?" that all these re-coding methods
are just a second layer to the lat/long and that is something that the
LOCAL client view needs to handle. The words used in W3W and the
language used where places are included with OLC makes using either of
them difficult for a 'Nomination' search.

Even something as simple as identifying the local time given some sort
of location identifier becomes unreliable when local variations of
language and custom are added in.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL