Legal definition vs."duck typing" - there is a bit of both in Openstreetmap tagging... But because "living street" has a precise legal definition in Europe, involved mappers chose not to confuse the issue by using a different one.

Then there was the question of differentiating large residential streets from minor ones... Some bright spark took initiative by tagging a large part of Dakar's residential streets as highway=service - that has been universally perceived as a very bad idea.

I mostly just highway=residential with a surface=* tag but now that you remind me of those discussion, I'm thinking that a key differentiator is the presence of a sidewalk. What about:

highway=residential
surface=ground
sidewalk=no

Doesn't that feel like Africa already ?