> Martin, while it is fascinating to learn about Aldi, its history, and
> possible ways to organize information about it, isn't it a moot point for
> our  discussion?

I just took it as an example because I think it works to illustrate several
problems (I didn't bring it up myself, I am not affiliated with them in any
way of course). One of these is wikipedia tags perfectly fitting for an
object in OSM and related wikidata not fitting, but being misleading and
factually wrong (almost everything on the wikidata object was wrong
initially, and keeps being wrong and got even worse after a lot of
modification following our discussion here). Seems strange, as the wikidata
object was initially created for the article, but it is like this.
It could be seen as alarming if not even proficient WD editors are able to
solve the issues for an object in the spotlight, in what condition will the
rest of it be, but I think this would be unfair, because it is clear you
can't reasonably make good edits on a topic from a different cultural
context you are not familiar with, where the information is mainly
available in a language you don't speak, and from a field you are likely
not very interested in (retail).

> We are talking about Wikipedia, and how we link to it. There is only one
> Aldi Wikipedia article that can be connected to:

actually we are talking about wikidata tags being added automatically,
without human verification, based on wikipedia tags that are present. The
fact that you can link only one Wikipedia article to a Wikidata object
could be a design problem, but I am not completely sure

> This is the current behavior of the iD editor: you type in Wikipedia page,
> and it automatically updates Wikidata ID, storing both values.  If you
> think this is incorrect, please start a discussion,

yes, I do believe it is the same or a similar problem with iD behaving like
this, and the discussion should have been started by the iD developers
before they added this feature (because it is covered by the automated
edits guidelines, or if it's not currently, it should be).

> But this has been the automatic software behavior for a long time. Most iD
> users would not even know that they have updated Wikidata tag,

it's complicated, because most iD users generally don't know about tags and
them being set. They don't even see them per default (AFAIK), its a
pro-feature in iD to see all tags (just verified, and "all tags" is there,
but you have to unfold it). I'm not happy with this, but there are also
arguments that it is beneficial for a certain group of mappers (less things
to learn, easier to start).

> so lets not treat "wikidata" as some magical unicorn that links to
> something bigger and better - it is simply a link to Wikipedia.

its not true, you keep repeating this, but WD has its own semantic tags
that describe what it is about, the objects don't claim to be representing
an article, they claim to be representing a real world thing, and have
links to WP articles that are supposed to be about this same thing.

Wikipedia itselft says about wikidata:

"Wikidata is a collaboratively edited knowledge base operated by the
Wikimedia Foundation. It is intended to provide a common source of data
which can be used by Wikimedia projects such as Wikipedia, and by anyone
else, under a public domain licence. This is similar to the way Wikimedia
Commons provides storage for media files and access to those files for all
Wikimedia projects, and which are also freely available for reuse."

Cheers,
Martin