On 15/10/17 15:14, Tobias Zwick wrote:
> 1. If this does not require humans because both tagging schemes are
> mutually translatable (i.e. lets say for sport=handball <->
> sport=team_handball), then, the edit can be made automatically by a bot.

Except.... that's not true. In Ireland "handball" is Gaelic Handball¹
which is a one-on-one game, not a team sport (which is apparently a
different thing²). There are some sport=handball's tagged in Ireland.
Now the tag is clearly wrong, and we need to figure out something about
that. But if you just change sport=handball to sport=team_handball, then
you've entered incorrect data, based on incorrect assumptions.

There is the use case where one tagging scheme has been deprecated by
community consensus and one (combination of) tag(s) should be changed
into another (combination of) tag(s) globally.

Big question: What defines "community consensus"?

Though, note, for all three cases, a prior consensus is required, either
by prior discussion or by looking at what was previously agreed on in
the wiki. That is the case for *any* organized re-tagging of existing tags.

Not everyone (incl me) thinks that the wiki defines what a tag should
mean...

¹ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_handball
² https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Handball