I was thinking about hillshading on the osm-carto as part of the low zoom improvement process. The idea was quickly rejected:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2931

but I wanted to look deeper and ask about your experiences with hillshading on the maps using OSM data (like for example cycling layer on OSM.org):

1. What kind of hillshading data is used and what is the quality on low, middle and high zoom levels (SRTM-based NaturalEarth maybe - general or manually edited)?

2. Did you find any problems with hillshading (like peak or saddle being placed differently than shading suggests)?

3. What do you think about using OSM hillshading "fork" which could be editable somehow to follow OSM data (of course it doesn't belong to OSM database, since it's a raster data, not a vector one)?

--
"My method is uncertain/ It's a mess but it's working" [F. Apple]