This article is on the front page of the Slashdot today:

Fri 16 February 2018 "Why OpenStreetMap is in Serious Trouble"

https://blog.emacsen.net/blog/2018/02/16/osm-is-in-trouble/

"The Future of Free and Open-Source Maps"

https://news.slashdot.org/story/18/02/16/2216228/the-future-of-free-and-open-source-maps

I actually read the article, and though it has got insightful information and interesting ideas, I have doubts about some suggestions.

For instance, reviews. I hope it will not come to what there is at some commercial maps, when one adds say a building and then has to wait for a month that an almighty moderator approves it, so that it appears on the map.

I also skeptical of massive imports from governments' databases. These databases were created in the last century, with outdated tools, sometimes by disinterested underpaid clerks, probably in a climate of secrecy of that era. And such an import may replace the quality data from modern satellite imagery, GPS traces, surveys, etc.

Best regards,

O.