On 2018-02-18 20:07, Paul Johnson wrote:
On Sun, Feb 18, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Maarten Deen <md...@xs4all.nl>
wrote:

On 2018-02-18 19:28, Tom Hughes wrote:

I can't comment about how the algorithm works because I don't know
anything about it. I'm just saying that we do tell it the viewbox

 It appears to me that the bounding box is used when searching places
(towns, cities) or streets, but not when searching objects like shops
or restaurants.
For instance, searching for a McDonald's always gives me the
McDonald's at 1351, George Dieter Drive, El Paso City, El Paso County,
Texas, 79936, Verenigde Staten van Amerika

 Keen ask.  I think a _lot_ of the complaints regarding Nominatim that
have come up could be fixed by using the bounding box context for all
items.  I may have incorrectly opened an Osmand bug [1] on the
assumption Nominatim was consistently using the geocontext for all
results.

I've opened a Nominatim bug for it.
https://github.com/openstreetmap/Nominatim/issues/930

Maarten