> Hi,
>
> I'm currently thinking about wiki improvement about waterways.
>
> It would be great to move (with caution) the content of the Waterways page
> to Key:waterway
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:waterway
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Waterways
>
> This would prevent redundancy and ease tagging documentation maintenance.
> There are many translations which aren't up to date currently.
> Waterways page will be redirected to Key:waterway
>
> Does anyone have a concern about this ?

I am a bit unsure about this. Some years ago (actually 7), those
"collector" / "overview" pages have been set up. They were (if I interpret
it right) not thought as specific tagging documentation, but as overview
pages about a certain topic, with references to tag definition pages, so
you could find the right tag page.

The key:waterway page should be mainly about the key waterway and should
contain exhaustive information about this key. It has a reference to the
more generic Waterways overview page, where you can find references to the
main concepts and tags, not only waterway=* tags but including man_made
tags, natural=* tags and others.

Clearly all relevant information regarding the waterway key and its
meaning, application and interpretation, should be on the key:waterway
page. If such information is only on the overview page, it should be
verified/discussed and transferred.
It is also not needed to repeat all the waterway specific information on
the overview page, its purpose is different: give an overview and lead to
relevant tag pages.

I can imagine that this initial distinction may have been blurred in the
years since it was created, so a review surely makes sense, but generally I
think it is a good idea to have the overview pages (about topics, rather
than keys).

Btw., what I wrote is not only referring to waterways, but in analogy also
to other topics like these:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Speed_limits
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Highways
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landuse
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Landcover
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Places
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Addresses
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Power
and maybe more

None of these pages has ever been voted, naturally.

I'm generally in favor of keeping them, but they should be reviewed to make
sure the overview pages are concise overview pages, and relevant
information is on the key and tag pages.

They should also get a disclaimer what they are meant to be, so that people
aren't confused.

Regarding missing and out of date translations: this is the standard
situation in the wiki, even for the "main languages", with maybe very few
exceptions. We should care for the English version here, and leave
translations to the local communities, who could also decide not to
translate some pages (because they know they are so few they will not be
able to keep it updated).

Cheers,
Martin