5. May 2018 14:55 by dieterdre...@gmail.com <mailto:dieterdre...@gmail.com>:

> sent from a phone
>
>> On 5. May 2018, at 14:28, Mateusz Konieczny <>> matkoni...@tutanota.com
>> <mailto:matkoni...@tutanota.com>>> > wrote:
>>
>> (and no, Wikidata is not better - it includes data from Wikipedia and entire
>> databases protected by sui generis database right so it is even worse as far
>> as
>> copyright goes)
>

> I’ve read this several times now, but find it to be an over cautious
> interpretation of the situation. Wikidata is published in cc0, everyone
> contributing to it knows it. If some years ago wikimedia’s legal department
> has analyzed the situation and concluded that they could import facts from
> wikipedia into a cc0 db, why would we not trust them?

sui generis database right is not existing in USA. It is existing in EU,
including UK.

Also, AFAIK OSM and Wikipedia has a bit different approach to how copyright is
interpreted

> Copyright doesn’t protect facts, ie ccbysa does so neither. Wikidata is
> containing only facts.

OSM also contains only facts. It does not mean that OSM may be freely copied
and used without restrictions.

>  WRT to database rights in the EU, I don’t think there can be a case between
> wikidata and wikipedia, and even if there was I am confident it would be
> settled.

So - is it OK to:

- copy location data from Google  into a Wikipedia article

 (considered OK and encouraged on Wikipedia)

- import this location data to Wikidata (routinely done by bots)

- and then import this data into OSM

How copying location data[1] from Google Maps (or other source) via Wikipedia
and Wikidata differs

from direct copying from Google maps from legal point of view?

[1] of lets say museums