Tim -
For GDPR, there's not a lot of clarity yet because the regulation is only
going into effect next week. I suspect in practice, the answer with be that
the processing is legal because it is to fulfill the contractual terms (of
the creative commons license requiring attribution, which is a contract
with the data subject that basically anyone can accept), and then if
removal is later requested, then you can remove the image in question (or
just the attribution, if that's what the person prefers) from your site/app
(this is polite anyway). The person will have to ask each place for
removal, since each place is using the image is issuing it for their own
purposes. (Generally, with an open dataset, you're not going to have a list
of everyone who got the dataset so you can't send them an update.)
I'm not sure if a photograph catching someone in the background would be a
problem or not, since they are inadvertently captured and there's no other
info about them, but I suppose it would be polite to remove or blur the
photo if someone objected.
-Kathleen