On Jun 3, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 06/02/2018 01:11 PM, Frederik Ramm wrote:
>> If you happen to have access to material than can legally be used to
>> re-add some of the now missing place names, then your help is very
>> welcome.
>
> It has been pointed out to me that there is 1983 document on North
> Korean place names by the United States Board on Geographic Names in
> North Korea. A Google-digitized, public domain version is viewable online,
>
> https://hdl.handle.net/2027/pst.000015364708
>
> and a text-only OCR'd version is also available. But the names are all
> in English only, and the coordinates rounded to full arc minutes (i.e.
> +/- 1.5km on the ground). It could be good enough to label places you
> see on the imagery, but it is certainly not good enough for any kind of
> automated processing.

Is this the equivalent, but with more detail?
http://geonames.nga.mil/gns/html/namefiles.html
<http://geonames.nga.mil/gns/html/namefiles.html>

"Foreign geographic names data is freely available. A suitable citation note
is: "Toponymic information is based on the Geographic Names Database,
containing official standard names approved by the United States Board on
Geographic Names and maintained by the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency.
More information is available at the Maps and Geodata link at www.nga.mil
<http://www.nga.mil/>. The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency name,
initials, and seal are protected by 10 United States Code Section 425.”

It’s not clear to me whether the citation is optional.