Yes, Quality should be be integrated at all levels, from Documentation, Editing
tools, Projects monitoring particularly in the context of Mapathons to catch
problems rapidly and correct. And  yes validation is the last step, the last
barrier to catch Quality problems and correct.

After the experience with Mapathons in the last few years, we are surely at
this point where we need to revise our global process and suggest where
improvements would contribute to this Quality Quest.
Bjoern, in a HOT discussion about the Ebola Response  in Butembo, gave us a
link to some Documentation used in the context of Mapathons.  It is  important
to propose such documentation specific to
Mapathons.https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/hot/2018-December/014667.html
Documentation easily accessible in iD with the ? shortcut is also a good point.
Such easy access to documentatin should be part of the various OSM editors. But
it should also focus on specific skills like Trace a building, Correct
irregular geometry, Adjust the offset of imagery, Classify roads. Links to
short videos would also greatly help the beginners.
There are projects more complex with aspects such as the density of urban
areas, imagery quality and offset and it is important to restrict access based
on OSM experience for more complex projects and this is now possible for the
various Tasking Manager projects. Taking this step for the Butembo Ebola
response this week dramatically improved the quality of the data produced. But
still, I often observed that some occasionnal contributors to Mapathons
continue to produce some Fantasy buildings more then a year after they started
editing.
This is indication of how it is important not only to provide good
documentation and tools to beginners, to restrict more complex jobs, but also
to better accompany and motivate the OSM beginners. Let's be a community. Let's
that produce inadequate data that often is not corrected afterward.

Irregular geometries in the OSM database are probably more then 90% of the time
an indication of incorrect mapping. Highlighting Irregular geometries and
overlaps in editors such as iD and JOSM would faciliate revision by beginners.
It could be integrated in the JOSM validation process.  iD could also have such
a validation process.

Monitoring of Quality and OSM edits need tools to quickly identify such
problems. The Overpass and JOSM could provide the possibility to query for
irregular geometries and overlaps.  Such addition in Overpass would offer to
the Mapathons the possibility to visually monitor Quality of editing with the
participants using for example a list of OSM user id's.  This could also be
used for edition in JOSM.  And imagine the Mapathon participants that view the
motivating and pedagogic.

There were some regression with the Tasking Manager updates for the possibility
to monitor the users. For example, the Activity and Stats section do not let
see on the map the squares mapped by a particular contributor. It is then
uneasy to revise the edits of a specific contributor that do not map
appropriately. On the other hand, it is now possible to restrict the access to
Validation.
.

regard

Pierre