Good point Stephan about protocol-less urls being left to the "browser"
using the same protocol as it is currently using. But I think my approach
is pretty sound in that I'll only update the value if there is a redirect
from http to https. I did a sample of a dozen websites that don't redirect
and tried out the https version of their site. 100% of them were broken. So
I can't assume https, but trying http and looking for a published redirect
seems pretty sensible to me.
 Thanks for the feedback.