On Monday, February 25, 2019, Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:
> Now the question if aristocratic governance would be beneficial for the
> OSM wiki compared to the anarchy we currently have more or less is
> something i would be open to discuss.  But basing membership in the
> aristocratic class on the technical ability to develop and run bots is
> quite obviously a bad idea.

Being able to code need not result to a rise in an aristocratic wiki class.
While I know that some people here do not want the OSM community to emulate
some practices in the Wikipedia community, I would argue that Wikipedia's
policy of only allowing wiki bots to run with explicit approval and for
very specific tasks is something we should consider. This gives the power
back to the community to decide when and where wiki bots are allowed to
operate.

We already have this practice on the main OSM database itself with the
Automated Edits code of conduct and the Import Guidelines.