On Thursday 12 September 2019, Roland Olbricht wrote:
> Thus the question is: are contradictions between pages a problem? If
> yes then a holisitic toolset may do better, if not then the holistic
> tool has no advantage in this regard.

Yes they are but it is unrealistic in practical work on any text
document of considerable size to keep it contradiction free at all
times.

For writing any larger body of text collaboratively you will need to
compartmentalize to some extent and have different people focus on
different parts of the whole thing and coordination between those will
need to happen through human evaluation and human communication.

Being able to keep an eye on the whole while working on the details is
one of the core qualifications necessary for this.  There are no
interface specifications and unit tests in text writing.  There is also
usually a significant benefit in terms of clarity and readability of
text if there is clear individual authorship on the level of individul
sections or chapters.  If you mix different styles of writing on a too
fine grained level that often has a negative effect on text quality.

As Frederik said the idea to approach this with "Lets use technology X
in combination with technology Y and everything else is going to fall
into place" is not going to work.

The real hurdle here is to set up an editorial baseline of guiding
principles and goals and find qualified people willing to contribute to
such a project under these principles in the long term.  And this is
not something you can bootstrap from open community discourse and
consensus because then it would be no different from what we already
have on the wiki with all the cacophony of different contradicting
interests and opinions.

Therefore this idea of a curated body of tagging documentation can only
be a contribution to open community discourse and governance on
tagging, it cannot be the result of it.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/