The wiki allows barrier=bollard on a way. It demands however:
"If rows of bollards are laid across highways, make sure they share nodes with what they block since routing happens at the edges of area highways at present."

Indeed bollard is used 331k on nodes and 12k on ways.

While the wiki statement above has a focus on areas, the situation is already complicated for a router calculating on a linear way.

Assume we have a road that is blocked with several bollards across, which are mapped as a way, sharing a node with the highway. This sharing node is currently untagged.

A router would normally evaluate its routing graph for specific nodes on it, not necessarily evaluate any way that crosses it. Thus it finds barriers as a node, or traffic lights.

To consider the barrier-way just sharing a node, the router would need to evaluate each and every way it intersects for a barrier tag, which is a high extra load. We had a similar discussion a while ago when a user proposed to join two roads entering and exiting a roundabout in the same node.

Thus my questions;

- which routers currently evaluate way-barriers across a road based on an
untagged shared node?
- should we required extra tagging of the shared node, or abolish such way
barriers?

For bollards, it might be easy to map them individually, having one squatting
on the road way.
For other barrier types, such as gates, this might be trickier.

cheers
Tom