I would love to fully transition to data items, as it would make
translation and cross-language tag consistency far easier.

We now have a data item editor you can enable by going to preferences /
gadgets, and enabling it.
*
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-gadgets

Once enabled, it creates WEF links on the left sidebar. Go to a regular
wiki key or a tag page, and click the key/tag link in the sidebar.