6 Dec 2019, 09:55 by dieterdre...@gmail.com:

> Am Fr., 6. Dez. 2019 um 08:08 Uhr schrieb Maarten Deen <> md...@xs4all.nl> >:
>
>> On 2019-12-05 22:12, Tomek wrote:
>> The adjacent Caspian sea is displayed as دریاچه خزر which is not the
>>  complete name tag (Каспийское море / Хәзәр дәнизи / دریاچه خزر) but
>>  looks to me the name:fa (Farsi).
>>  For me, that is very bad since I can not read Farsi so I don't know what
>>  is written there. Same applies to Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and a whole
>>  host of languages that do not use the latin script.
>>

> it can be done (and is already done in some context) to display names in your
> own language (or another fallback) in case there aren't letters in latin
> script (even an automatic transliteration at display time may be better than
> not being able to read the script at all).

Yes, this is a limitation of this specific rendering.

>> IMHO Openstreetmap does try to be politically and nation independent.
>>
>>  Still, it is a Good Idea to have one standard (language) to communicate
>>  or define things, like everything meant for an international public in
>>  the wiki is English and the tag system is English.
>>

> you should argue why it is a good idea to have _one_ standard language in the
> project. IMHO it excludes many billions of people from participating

While it is problematic it is hard for me to imagine a better version. I am
pretty sure that for example
using Polish/Korean/etc words where English one exists would not help.

> but I am not sure we could not do better at integrating people from different
> cultural contexts.

Oh, that is certainly possible to improve.

> It is also a sign we are sending out to the others, whether there is "the
> main language English", or whether we communicate that every language is
> accepted.

While current situation excludes from this specific mailing list people unable
to communicate in
written English I doubt that "any language goes" would improve overall
situation.

Separate channels for various languages seem to be a better idea.

>> > Suggestion 2b: use the name in a neutral language, i.e. planned or
>>  > extinct: Lingvo Internacia Esperanto (EO), Interlingua (IA), Ido (IO),
>>  > Latin (LA), I don't know Latin, so I would need help.
>>

> none of these is "neutral" and more importantly, none of these seems
> "inclusive" and suitable to broaden participation, they are all either
> elitist, or at least spoken by very little people, and likely both.

+1

And it would be kind of weird to decide that English is imperialistic therefore
we should use Latin
to avoid this specific problem.

>> > for other places:
>>  > Suggestion 4a: remove the label "wikipedia" and leave only "wikidata",
>>
>>  I agree that it is strange to have (e.g. for the Caspian Sea
>>  multipolygon 3987743) wikipedia=en:Caspian Sea when it is not in
>>  England. Is there a reason for that other than historic? Since there is
>>  also a wikidata link.
>>

> I am strongly opposing the idea of removing wikipedia article links when
> there are wikidata feature links. The former are human readable

Yes, wikidata tag may be useful but it is an alphanumeric gibberish not
readable by humans.
Human readable tags are very useful, this way human is able to easier verify
whatever tags
are blatantly wrong.

And based on my experience - English language link
may be a compromise. Some border peaks/rivers of Poland have also link to
English wikipedia as
a compromise between mappers from Poland and Ukraine/Belarus/Russia/Chechia/etc.
It is better than switching between pl: and ru: link in a pointless edit war.

>> > Suggestion 4b: add links in a neutral language: wikipedia=ia: Mar
>>  > Nigre
>>
>>  Why is Anguilla a neutral language?

+ 1

> > Suggestion 4c: add more links, but in which languages?
>

> if "links" is about wikipedia article references, there is already the rule
> that one link is sufficient where the other language article is linked as
> corresponding in wikipedia.

+1