From: Mario Frasca
Sent: Wednesday, February 5, 2020 9:45 AM
To: OSM Talk
Subject: [OSM-talk] it's not a fake, but "it's complicated"

hi all,

I sort of moved to Panama.  I am trying to find local mappers wanting to
discuss issues, help take decisions, document decisions, and validate
data.  it's been a hard task, and it's not the only hard task here in
Panama: time and again I find tons of mistakes added by people who,
mostly in good faith, won't take responsibility for their edits.  when
it's isolated editors, I comment on their edits, or ask for a temporary
block if they keep adding dubious data without reacting to comments.

when it's an organization, it can be easier, or very much more complicated.

one common practice, the one I wish to discuss here, is something done
by Kaart editors: splitting a building into as many slices as the amount
of commercial activities within the building.  I am in no position to
take care of the amount of instances of this practice, and fix them, nor
do I lead a group of editors who can fix such an amount of issues, and
definitely not while these issues keep streaming into the database, and
the stream has very variable intensity.  I've signalled it to their
editors, or to their leaders, but apparently when an activity is closed,
it's too late to ask them to review.  I've asked them to alert the
community *before* they start each such activities, but I did not manage
to get a commitment.  apparently also Kaart (as HOT) does not take any
notice of the Organized Edits directive.

I've now moved to tagging as many of them them as 'fixme'.  maybe public
shame will do the job.

hints?

tank you and best regards,

Mario Frasca (mariotomo)

this is what I'm talking about:

https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Qqh

one more things that make this situation even more complicated, is that
many of these ways have shop:yes, which sounds like "I'm too lazy to
investigate the details, please someone does it for me", which I did in
one shopping area, putting shop names in a web search, and fix the type
of the shop, before realizing the dimension of the problem.

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/748685987

(one of the many instances of expressing doubts and not getting a
reply)  (people participating to organized edits, who later disappear
from OSM, and leaving you with the doubt whom to contact.)