Very well stated, Colin.  I agree that "independent verifiability" is at the
heart of OTG and what we mean to distill from it as crucially important and a
tenet of OSM that we can all agree upon (well, I hope so, anyway).

By explicitly stating that John Random Public can "consult the source" (freely,
in all senses) to determine "what is" even (or especially) if something is NOT
on-the-ground, we actually DO largely encompass many of the exceptions of "but
I can't SEE it on the ground."  We may have more work to do to be more
explicit, but this goes a long way:  thank you!

SteveA