I, too, have noticed this "apparent deprecation" of the importance of our wiki
and would like to see it remedied.  Not only do I find the wiki drop-dead easy
to search and "read up on" how to do something in OSM (as in "this is how we
already do it" or "this is how far along we are on a particular (local,
specific) endeavor or sub-project") — encyclopedia / wikipedia style — but
there is a comparatively low bar of entry should even a novice user wish to
change / update a wiki that is already substantially written, but can benefit
by a casual user coming along and discovering it needs only a slight update to
be ship-shape.  In my opinion, this makes our wiki one of the most powerful
reference and communication vehicles in the project, as even for novices, it is
not only highly accessible and helpful, but encourages simple (or yes, even
complex) contributions which strengthen it.

Let's continue to "market" our wiki (to newer users, especially) as the very
potent resource that it is.  If this means improvement in how we point (newer)
users to our wiki, let's do that.  If there are other, more noticeable or
visible places where we can do this but now do not, let's fix that so we do.

SteveA
California