Thanks for the great input. I've added the signals and modified the street. If I got anything wrong or if anything needs changing, please feel free to let me know. Cheers :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul Johnson
Sent: Mar 11, 2020 9:56 PM
To: Andrew Harvey
Cc: Jack Armstrong , OSM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Flashing school speed limit sign

On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 9:59 PM Andrew Harvey <andrew.harv...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 12:51, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
On Wed, Mar 11, 2020 at 8:23 PM Jack Armstrong <jacknst...@sprynet.com> wrote:
How would this be tagged? I can't seem to find anything about this on the wiki. Perhaps I'm just not looking in the right place. Thanks.

The sign itself would be highway=traffic_sign, traffic_sign=maxpseed, maxspeed=traffic_signals.  For the school zone on the way, that would be maxspeed=* (whatever the maxspeed is normally when it's not in effect), and maxspeed:variable=school_zone

That looks good but how would you mark the variable speed as 20mph? I've seen people use something along the lines of `maxspeed:conditional=80 @ wet` to indicate the lower speed for maxspeed:variable=weather, so something similar could be used here.

To my knowledge, there's no way to accurately represent that at this time.  Nor could data consumers reasonably use that information, as far as I can tell.