> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Changeset Governance [was: Announcing Daylight Map
> Distribution]
> From: Frederik Ramm
>
>> Nothing against the idea but what happened to the good old source tag
>> where source=survey would point to mappers on the ground, and
>> source=XYZ
>> aerial imagery would point to armchairing?

I'm very sympathetic to knowing the on-ground-ness of a change.  But I
think it's shades of gray.  This list illustrates what I mean:

* armchair

a place I have never been to, and which is so far away that I am not
familiar with the customs.  An example would be me (US) editing in Africa.

* country-armchair

as above, but I know the country norms.  Me editing in Glacier National
Park.

* local-armchair

as above, but I know the region norms.   If I edited some town in MA
that I haven't visited (perhaps because I was going to visit), but I
generally know how things are.

* visited but mapping done by imagery

Here, I am editing a place where I've been at some point reasonably
recently and have some clue, but my edits are based on imagery.
However, my recollection is good enough to avoid most of the armchair
issues.   An example is me fixing up crosswalks and sidewalks two towns
away, but not from field mapping notes.   I don't consider this
armchair, but it's iffy.

* editing soon after a visit

I got someplace, maybe make notes, maybe remember, and edit based on
some combination of imagery, gpx tracks, notes and memory.   I think
this is squarely not armchair.

* editing while there

Actually using an editor while being in the place being edited.

I would basically split this into three armchair and three not armchair.

So basically I think source including imagery does not really imply
"armchairing", in that the use of imagery is not the point, but a lack
of familiarity with what's on the ground.  I almost always load and look
at imagery when editing after being in the field.  I line up ways from
imagery when that works, becuase I have come to believe from experience
(with specific imagery sources) that this is more accurate than my gps
tracks.

(I have been experimenting with raw GPS data and post-processed PPP
solutions, and those I think are close to good imagery.)