On 27/3/20 1:16 am, Christoph Hormann wrote:
On Thursday 26 March 2020, Christine Karch wrote:
the deadline ended a month ago. At the moment it is not planned to
call for additional submissions. We will ask the speakers of
"accepted talks" first, and then see what the feedback is. If we have
too much cancellations, we would make an additional call. But this is
not planned at the moment, just a thought.
As a bit of broader background:  The participants of physical presence
conferences like SotM - and thereby implicitly also those holding the
talks at such conferences - largely belong to one of the following
groups:

* wealthy individuals from around the world who can afford the visit to
the conference from their own pockets.
* employees of companies who pay for them to visit the conference.
* members of the local community from where the conference takes place.
* in small numbers as scholars: Other individuals deemed worthy to be
supported in visiting the conference by people with money and who are
willing to ask for such support and subject themselves to scrutiny for
this.

One of the biggest benefits for having a virual event instead of a
physical presence event would be that presenting something there would
not be limited to the above mentioned groups but would be possible for
a much larger range of people with much lower barriers of entry.

That does not mean the idea presented by Christine as a substitute for
the physical presence conference cancelled in the current situation is
bad.  But i would call it more a virtualized conference.  It does not
make full use of the potential the idea of a completely virtual event
would have.

I would very much like to see more bold endeavours to organize virtual
conferences and other virtual social events in the OSM community that
test and make use of all the potential this has.

+1. Certain environmental benefits too.