To me, manhole applies in the two situations.

We should make a distinction between the "cap" visible from the surface and
the facility underground.
Same shape of "cap" (I call it the manhole actually) can hide really
different kind of stuff underground you won't be able to define without
removing the cap.
In OSM, most mappers will only be able to describe what is visible on
surface. So this distinction would really be valuable.

When I look for "cable manhole" in google, I see both pavement and road
manholes.
Then I found this :
https://www.archiexpo.com/prod/dakota-group/product-150519-1693688.html

The body below surface, buried underground would be called a "cable room".

All the best

François