On 25/4/20 8:35 pm, Oleksiy Muzalyev wrote:
Here are some more examples demonstrating that signs could be of interest to travelers.

- in this video the popular British travel video-blogger goes to great lengths to get to the specific sign to record his video: https://youtu.be/6RQlQDp1uiU?t=90

- it is customary during long distance cycling tours to take photos near the signs, as it would confirm the itinerary of the tour:

https://www.highlux.co.nz/category/cycle-touring/

or

https://www.alamy.com/fully-packed-bicycle-long-distance-bike-parked-at-frontier-sign-chile-argentina-good-bye-argentina-image184906663.html

Whilst tourist use signs to document their tour few of them are after a particular sign and those usually from someone else's trip photos. If they are after a particular sign then the location is probably gained from the photo and/or document not from a map.

There is a place that I know of that had a sign and it attracted tourist. There were a few traffic accidents caused by these tourist looking/stopping for this sign. The sign has been removed for safety. As there is no sign there tourist do not slow or stop there any more, so not more accidents. It is a 'place=location' in OSM terms but I am loathed to map it for fear of recreating the problem.