I wish to add some nuance to Frederik's opinion:

On 12/05/2020 07:06, Frederik Ramm wrote:
The scarce resource in this project are still mappers, not consumers.

as far as my experience goes, in most places where I've been the scarce resource is people on the spot: __local__ mappers with access to the internet and some motivation to share knowledge.

an other rare factor is the ability to talk cross-communities. you might not notice it here in this group, or in the Telegram group, because the participants are all from the same community, while there are others, quite different from what you meet here. there's people who will require "speak my language (please), because I don't understand yours" (and this will be said in whichever language), and the language barrier is the least of the problems, because you may well read/write Spanish, or English, but I've witnessed Americans and Europeans speaking the same language, but not managing to focus on the issue, because —if you ask me— some irrelevant but fundamental formal error.

let's leave the above aside for a moment.

I do not know how to motivate local mappers.  people simply do not share knowledge if there's not a short term payback, I'm guessing here, but maybe they fear losing the exclusivity of the information, I don't know.  bus drivers were happy to keep a phone in their car to let me record the route, but I've approached tourist operators, asking for "where's that petroglyph", or "would you record how you walk to the waterfall", to no avail, during a couple of months in a touristic area in Panama.  "strategically" touristic.  just check who's been mapping the area of Santa Fe, Veraguas, Panama, how many local people.  and how many GPS traces are available.  it's not just 'mappers' which are scarce, it's the whole idea of sharing information which should be worked upon.

and who knows the cross-community ability would help.

Mario Frasca