Where on earth do you get the idea that they're using the same software?

They're not.

In fact OSQA and all the other similar open source projects are attempts
to recreate the Stack Overflow experience and they're basically all dead
or, if still on life support, then very poor clones.

Personally my preference would be to close help.osm.org and move to a
proper SO site via the Area 51 process which should be no problem for a
community of our size.

I imagine that will be unpopular with a subset of our users however.

The alternative if it's going to stay alive is that somebody needs to
find a way to migrate the data to something like Askbot that is at least
semi-conscious.

Tom