On Jul 18, 2020, at 7:09 AM, Rory McCann <r...@technomancy.org> wrote:
> In addition (I can't find the link now but) I recall reading about the death
> of a hiker or climber who used some app which used OSM data, and the app
> didn't distinguish between track_types (or there was no track_type data for
> that route), so the hiker presumed it was OK to go on, and subsequently died.

Let us be clear as crystal as we pause to realize the key part of this:  "so
the hiker presumed it was OK."  The hiker made that choice. Any assumption that
OSM has ANYthing to do with a subsequent death is specious and only that:  an
assumption.

No, maps don't "make people" do foolish things.  Yes, people do foolish things,
by their own volition.  Not because "the GPS made me do it" or "the map is
responsible" (somehow).  OSM makes no warranties as to fitness or
merchantability for any particular purpose.  Do I (we) really need to say this?
 It's sad if we do.

I recently had someone from my local Land Trust imply that because I entered
trails under development from their public map (and tagged access=no) that
somehow OSM was responsible for increased trespassing.  Ridiculous.  Maps don't
make people choose to break the law, people do.  I set him straight and we get
along fine.

SteveA
California