2020-07-24, pn, 21:14 john whelan rašė:
> I think we either run the largest PostgreSQL database there is or it is close
> to it.

  Why do you think so? To my knowledge there are muuuuch larger
PostgreSQL databases going into petabytes.

  Can you be more specific as to what exactly was better in MSSQL
compared to PostgreSQL and in which year that was the case?

  If the database was better off with people not touching it, it gives
my doubts about admins as machine will never know the full context of
its operation (closed system theory), only people can know that,
therefore only people can make final decisions, machines can only help
them to do so by pin-pointing some problems and offering solutions.

  According to my discussions with other IT managers quite a number
are considering ditching Microsoft (and Oracle) for much more
customisable/adaptable options of using PostgreSQL.

  Also you would have to understand that switching to MSSQL would not
only mean rewriting quite a number of tools, but it would also mean
everybody who would like to run OSM server on their own hardware would
have to pay Microsoft. I highly doubt that it would be smart in
today's world.

--
Tomas