Note: I am not a sysadmin. But overall I am missing any decent reasons to make
such move.
Maybe there is some reason for that, but nothing from what you presented
appears to be
a good reason.

Frankly, if company had major problem with production severs using default
passwords,
uncontrolled accounts on a critical database, and "RAM is faster that hard
drive" was a
discovery and Munin installation was too hard then I suspect that UNIX was not
root cause
of the problems.

Jul 24, 2020, 20:50 by jwhelan0...@gmail.com:

> If the database was smaller and less infrastructure was reliant on it working
> I would agree with you that philosophically open source software makes a lot
> of sense.

And why it is supposed to not make sense just because scale is bigger?

> However your argument is philosophical rather than logical.

And? I consider running OSM infrastructure on open source software as a good
thing
in itself.

> Note I'm merely requesting that the idea be examined.  I am not saying I know
> what is best and all the things that need to be considered.

Given that you mention things such as
"Many of the UNIX based servers had default passwords set which made security a
problem."
as a problem, I am dubious about quality of this advise.

I am pretty sure that we have no problems of this kind, and even if we would
have, how
switching to Windows would help?

"You need to think of the future.  Will I be able to get knowledgeable staff if
I need to?"
Are you claiming that there is serious risks that UNIX sysadmins will be
unavailable and
Windows ones will be available?

"I think we either run the largest PostgreSQL database there is or it is close
to it."
I am pretty sure that we are far from largest PostgreSQL, full history
compressed
is just 86GB, uncompressed is just 139 GB (
https://planet.osm.org/planet/full-history/ )