Sep 16, 2020, 11:38 by o...@imagico.de:

> On Wednesday 16 September 2020, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

>> > simple:  Individual humans as well as their activities and social
>> > interactions between individual humans - including permanent
>> > physical manifestations of those - are not as such part of the
>> > verifiable geography we intend to record.
>>
>> +0.9, I'd make it more precise: "private activities and private
>> social interactions"
>>

> No, public activities of individual humans are not as such part of the
> verifiable geography either.  If my neighbor takes their dog for a walk
> on a certain route every day that is a public activity - yet does not
> belong in OSM.

But if they manage to create a path as result of taking the same route
repeatedly
it becomes a mappable feature.

I feel that "permanent physical manifestations of those" includes far too many
things that are actually mappable.

What about buildings? Many of them are also "physical manifestations of those"
and not visible from public land. I would still consider them as mappable
and verifiable - we can do this using aerial images and so on.

>> > The private swimming pool and the private driveway become part of
>> > the verifiable geography because members of society on a larger
>> > scale (i.e. not just the personal social environment of the owner)
>> > interact with them on a routine basis.
>>
>> I'd question this. Noone has to show their private swimming pool or
>> driveway to anybody, clearly not on a "larger scale". (I am still for
>> mapping private swimming pools, and driveways, as long as we do not
>> associate an individual with it, it has nothing to do with privacy.)
>>
>> >   In those cases mostly visually - but that can
>> > be sufficient.
>>
>> mostly you can't see private swimming pools from the street, and
>> according to the area, you also might not be able to see the
>> driveway.
>>

> We might have different ideas of what a driveway is but a private
> driveway as i imagine it is part of the verifiable geography among
> other things because you have to take notice of cars coming out of
> private driveways as you drive along a public road.  In other words:
> The driveway becomes part of the verifiable geography by being used as
> a driveway.
>
> For swimming pools that is certainly a matter of size - large swimming
> pools are however major constructions and major users of water supplies
> as well as reservoirs of water - to be used for example by firefighters
> in an emergency.  That is where i would see the interaction on a larger
> scale.

I would say that if someone has a private island it is still perfectly fine
to map buildings, driveways*, garden areas there - even if sole source
of map data is an aerial image.

*leading from private palace to a private dock, not connected to
any public road.