On Mon, 5 Oct 2020 at 18:00, Justin Tracey via talk <talk@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:

> On 2020-10-05 6:49 a.m., john whelan wrote:
> > I think we underestimate new mappers.  JOSM takes a little more time
> > to set up true enough but once set up new mappers can be quite
> > productive.  I think it is best if you limit them to adding one or two
> > features at a time but for adding buildings nothing beats it with the
> > buildings_tool plugin.
>

> For adding lots of buildings quickly, sure, that's definitely what I'd
> recommend, but that's not the most common action newbies will be
> performing in OSM. And yes, you *can* teach new mappers how to use JOSM,
> of course, but IMO the goal should be to make the UI as frictionless as
> possible at getting them to understand how mapping works, not getting
> them to use the most powerful mapping tools as quickly as possible. Or,
> framed another way, I would rather have lots of moderately skilled
> contributors all over the world than (unintentionally) gate-keep into
> highly skilled contributors in a few places.
>

> To use a programming analogy (sorry, I realize this is useless to
> non-programmers), yes, you can teach a complete programming newbie C as
> their first language. But if you want them to actually understand the
> important core concepts quickly rather than learning the quirks of the
> architecture, you're probably better off using something simple like
> Python. On a similar note, I use C for my work quite often, but when I
> need to write something simple, I'll default to Python; and while I
> frequently use (and have even made non-trivial upstream code
> contributions to) JOSM, I still default to iD as my go-to editor for
> most quick fixes.

As far as learning OSM goes, I think iD's tendency to hide what's going on
isn't helpful. With JOSM you apply a preset and see the equivalent tags
immediately at the side. With iD these tags are hidden below the user
friendly template (often pushing it off the screen). I also find iD's area
and relation handling to be a little misleading as well as it implies that
we have an area type that is distinct from ways and presents relations in a
way that is effectively backwards.