The issue of diversity is complex.  In Africa many of the locals whilst feeling that it would be nice to have all local mappers they recognise that the map would not be as complete without the armchair mappers.

Unfortunately when you work in technical areas often you'll see a group build up expertise over time.  These people have the frame work if you like to to see how things fit together and it is how things like overpass have come about.

Fredrick is one of those people who has a great deal of knowledge and OpenStreetMap would be much poorer without him.

It does take time to build up expertise and to take part in the discussions in a meaningful way.  However using terms such as "*This power dynamic leads to a communication style which includes misogynistic, hostile, targeting, doxing, unfriendly, competitive, intimidating, patronising messaging, which is offensive to us and forces many of us to remain as observers and without the confidence to participate actively" I think is purely destructive. Recognise that some of the wording you will come across is pure jargon. It works because the group the communication is taking place is to some extent closed and jargon gets the message across effectively and quickly. Communication that is more general does need the "can a six year old understand this approach". * I also have an issue with expecting everyone to conform to a set of social norms, I can think of at least one mapper who is obsessive over tiny details and goes to great lengths to get them right on the map.  However his social interactions may seem a bit abrupt to some.  His mapping contributions though are extremely valuable.

I also have an issue with those who say we don't have enough female mappers. Many females do not map using their own name but will use a male sounding name to avoid problems.  Hence you cannot say with any accuracy just how many mappers are male orfemale.

If you feel that OpenStreetMap is not open enough then there are forks that you can join inor you can build your own.

OpenStreetMap does respect local mappers points of view, which I think addresses your comments about minorities. Which is why the map uses different conventionsin different places.

However that brings us back to the problem of how decisions are made.  Certainly in Africa the NGOs have played a part in pushing for consistent tags and tagging standards and I am happy to accept that those who coordinated the efforts where often white, etc etc but they did consult with everyone who would talk to them.  Things like purdah can be an issue.  Communicating through a six year old because his mother was in purdah means mother's views may not be communicated easily.

Cheerio John