On 19/05/2022 12:47, Christian Amsüss wrote:
Hello taps-impl authors,

I've had a look at Implementing Interfaces to Transport Services from
the point of view of a curious observer of the TAPS ecosystem without
actual hands-on experience. (Also, I thought I'd review this for the ART
review team -- I wasn't assigned, but still kept ART area issues in
mind, and none were even remotely encountered).

* "Connection establishment is only a local operation for a Datagram
   transport (e.g., UDP(-Lite))": I think the criterion is not Datagram
   transports but "transports without a handshake" or "connectionless
   protocols" as it is used later in the document.

* "In effect, each leaf node will send the same early application data,
   yet encoded (encrypted) differently on the wire.": There has been a
   warning on the privacy implications of using the same token on
   different paths; doesn't sending an identical 0-RTT message racingly
   on multiple transports cause similar correlation issues?

* Framers: What is the difference between the Final message property and
   the separate IsEndOfMessage event argument?

   Also there, the term MessageContext could use a definition.

* Framers: The <tt> paragraphs in Defining Message Framers and later
   might be formal language or pseudocode, I can't tell. It might help if
   the introduction stated something around names and signatures of
   signals and functions being expressed in pseudocode, and that
   identifiers in implementations are expected to be similar to those but
   following the conventions of the language they are implemented in.

* Is the content of messages always bytes? I certainly got that
   impression, but didn't see it explicitly either. (The "protocols that
   expose byte-streams" have that property visible in their name). When
   framers are used a lot, I can envision that at some point a message
   might not use data bytes at all any more, as all information in the
   underlying message is being dissected into protocol specific
   properties.

* UDP, ConnectionError: Would those soft errors contain additional
   information about the ICMP error code, and can an application expect
   to find the (partial) original datagram in the error?

* (More out of curiosity, with no expectation that this would find its
   way into the text unless you think I've hit a bug): In UDP Multicast
   Receive, which kind of ICMP notifications can come in there that would
   constitute a ConnectionError -- given that this transport does not
   send (and would thus usually not trigger any)?

* The most recent changes on the two linked Python implementations had
   me briefly worry that they might be out of date with their last
   changes around 2019/2020 -- but comparing -12 with -06 it seems that
   the document has been stable for quite a while (with many changes
   appearing editorial.

   This nicely matches my the overall impression of this document, which
   is that it looks mature and ready to implement.

Best regards, and thank you for the continuous work on this
Christian

This is very useful!!  Thank you for sending these.

I have created 5 corresponding issues in the WG github for these comments, and expect they can also be discussed there - please do follow-up on proposals and comments.

Best wishes,

Gorry